Pacific Northwest District Addictions Ministry Project
SAVE THE DATE: Addictions Ministry Project Conference, October 10, 2015 in Olympia, WA - details posted as they become available.
To sponsor a PNWD addictions ministry that inspires and models programs for prevention, healing and recovery from addictions and compulsive behaviors in our UU congregations.
What do we do?
The PNWD Addictions Ministry Project provides education and resources to Unitarian Universalist congregations in the UUA's Pacific Northwest District to help them support individuals and families affected by addictions. Standard district consultation fees apply. Click here to download our brochure.
Members of the steering team offer consultation services to congregations regarding addictions through the following:
· Assistance in creating a workshop for your community and identifying potential pitfalls in the process.
· We can come to your congregation to conduct a workshop for you.
· Providing guest preachers
· Designing Sunday Worship Services
· Planning a Recovery Sunday
· Assistance in the creation of a network and a support system for recovery in your UU community
· Development of resources specific to your local area
· Referrals to training resources
A Unitarian Universalist Spiritual Approach To Addictions Recovery
Some recovering alcoholics and addicts have reacted negatively to the theistic language of traditional Twelve Step recovery programs. Unitarian-Universalists have often wondered if there were not some way to approach addiction recovery in a uniquely Unitarian-Universalist way. Individuals and congregations in the UUA are developing alternatives to and supplements for other recovery programs. Below are two such models
- Pacific Unitarian Church of Rancho Palos Verdes, CA uses a format similar to a conventional 12 step meeting. (Click here to see Pacific Unitarian's program in detail.)
- In the Pacific Northwest District one congregation, Shoreline UU Church in Shoreline, WA, through its Addictions and Recovery Ministries has made notable strides in creating an approach supplemental to established recovery programs using a Chalice Circle (Small Group Ministry of Covenant Group) format (See Chalice Circle Session Plans).
National Alcohol & Drug Addiction Recovery Month
Every September the Federal Department of Health and Human Services through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, sponsors National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month. This celebration focuses on improving the lives of those suffering from substance abuse through treatment and recovery. To learn more go to http://www.recoverymonth.gov .
Donate to the Cause
The work and outreach of the Addictions Ministry Project is supported through consultation and workshop fees, and through tax-deductible contributions made to PNWD. Gifts may be made in honor or in memory of someone whose life has been affected by addictions.
The Project Team
Rev. Barbara Stevens, Interim Chair
Eastrose Fellowship UU, Portland, OR
Rev. David Maynard
Retired UU Minister, Portland, OR
503-282-5147 or 503-358-4570
Shoreline UU Church, WA
If you don't see your area or it says it is under construction, we need your help in identifying resources. Please contact the Rev. David Maynard.
PNWD Addictions Ministry Project Resources
The items listed below are resources available in the Pacific Northwest District from the Addictions Ministry Project. To borrow these resources contact the Rev. David Maynard.
· 1 copy HBO Addiction series
· 1 copy CNS Neurochemistry of Relapse and Recovery
· 1 copy One Breath at a Time (Kevin Griffin)
· Several copies of Addiction Ministry Handbook
· Partial set of Faith Partners training manuals
Resources from PNWD Discovery Day (9/27/14)
Workshop: Small Group Ministries for People in Recovery
Sharing Circle - Willingness
Worship Leader Script
Order of Service May 2012
Order of Service July 2013
Order of Service August 2014
Difficult Conversations Lists